This was my first time making Banoffee Pie, rather it was the first time I ate a Banoffee Pie. We tried this out on the recommendation of one of my followers, and I must say it was worth it.
Banoffee Pie is made from bananas and Dulce de Leche (Toffee). The crust is a simple one, similar to the one used to make a cheesecake. The top layer of cream helps balance the sweetness of toffee and freshness of bananas. The most important thing is to get the toffee right. Its a perfectly balanced dish and suprisingly very easy to make.
Dulce de leche is a confection from Latin America prepared by slowly heating sweetened milk to create a substance that derives its flavour from the Maillard reaction also changing colour. We make it at home by cooking the condensed milk.
Heres the recipe for this absolutely yum dessert!
For a 8 inch Springform
- 2 cups of Crushed Biscuits
- 1 cup melted butter
- 1 can condensed Milk
- 2 bananas
- 200 ml heavy cream/whipping cream
- Half bar of chocolate
- Some instant coffee for garnish (Optional)
- To prepare the Dulce de leche, we use one can of condensed milk. Keep the entire can itself inside a Pressure cooker and submerge it completely with water. Make sure there are no cracks in the can.
- Leave the pressure cooker on a medium flame for 25 mins and then low flame for 30 mins.
- Turn the heat off and let the pressure cooker cool down for 30 mins
- Open the can and empty out your lovely Dulce de Leche in a bowl. Mix it with a spoon till you get a smooth texture.
- Meanwhile, for the crust: I used my 8-inch springform to make this pie. Use any mold which has a detachable base. (Adjust crust accordingly)
- Put them in a ziplock pouch and crush it with a rolling pin. This would make sure that your crust is not powdery, rather has a grainy texture.
- Pour the crushed biscuit into a bowl and mix it with melted butter.
- Place baking sheet on the base of your mold. Now put in the biscuit mix and spread it evenly. Use a small cup to properly press the crust in place. If you don’t have a tart mold, align some of the biscuits along the wall to make a tart-type shape.
- Put this crust in the fridge for 30 mins to properly set it in place
- Thinly slice the bananas for the topping
- Prepare the whipped cream by whipping the cold heavy milk
- Now all the individual items are ready. Take out the crust from the fridge and pour in the dulce de leche. Spread it around to cover the entire base. Now, with a gentle hand, cover the entire surface with sliced bananas. Once that is done, pour in the whipped cream and spread it across to create an even top layer.
- Garnish the whipped cream by making chocolate rolls using a vegetable peeler.
- you can also sprinkle some coffee if you like
- Chill this for 30 mins-1 hour and enjoy cold!
Hope you guys love it!
Enjoy my Beautifoooodies!